Friday, October 12, 2012

Foody Friday - Eggplant Soup with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

Now that fall is here I seem to be using my slow cooker a lot and one of my go to cookbooks is 1,001 Best Slow-Cooker Recipes: The Only Slow-Cooker Cookbook You'll Ever Need.


I was browsing through it the other day looking for some inspiration when I found Eggplant Soup with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce. Ha ha!! A way to use up all those eggplants that ended up in my deep freeze! 

Back in the spring my sweet greenhouse lady talked me into a couple of eggplants. At .99 a piece, sure why not? She neglected to tell me that eggplants will produce a lot on just one plant. By August I had had my fill of roasted eggplant with parmesan cheese. 

Eggplant Soup couldn't be that bad...could it? 


Eggplant Soup with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce 

4-5 cups chicken broth
2 medium eggplants, peeled, cubed
3/4 chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients, except Red Pepper sauce, in slow cooker; cover and cook on high 4-5 hours. Process soup in blender until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm with a spoonful of Red Pepper Sauce swirled in each bowl. 


Here's what my soup looked like after being put through the food processor. Frankly, I was losing my appetite. 
Grey. Soup. 
??
Ew.

Surely this couldn't taste good! I was mentally preparing to walk to the composter with this swill. 

But, I went ahead and finished up the recipe. 

Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

2 large red bell peppers, halved
1 teaspoon sugar

Place peppers, skin sides up, on broiler pain. Broil 4-6 inches from heat until skins are blistered and blackened. Place peppers in plastic bag for 5 minutes; remove and peel off skins. Process peppers and sugar in blender until smooth. 

Note: 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained, can be substituted for the peppers in the recipe. 



At least the red pepper sauce was a little better to look at.


Though combining them sure didn't make it look much more appetizing. 
Maybe this soup is best saved for Halloween? You think? 

But I sucked it up....and took a bite. 

OH. MY. GOODNESS. 

I have never underestimated anything this much in my entire life! 
This soup was fantastic!!! REALLY!!! 

The red pepper sauce really gave it a kick and was incredibly warming on the coldest windy days. Heck, now I'm wishing I there had been a few more eggplants producing in my garden this summer! 


Okay people, you don't like eggplants bring em' to my house!!! 



YUM!!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails