Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sunday Devotions - ..that you do not do what you want...


Galatians 5:19-23 New International Version (NIV)

So I say,live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law. The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.


Last Sunday my minister gave a wonderful sermon about the Fruits of the Spirit. Most of you are probably familiar with them : love,joy,peace,forbearance, kindness,goodness,faithfulness, gentleness, and self control. These are things of the Spirit. When we are filled with the Spirit we are able to show the Fruits of the Spirit to the world.

I don't know about you but that's what I want to show to the world. Doesn't a life full of love, joy and peace sound wonderful!! All to often however I find myself feeling very unjoyful, unpeaceful and unloving. Why? I want to lead I life full of the Spirit? What's keeping me from it? My sinful nature is preventing me from shining with the Fruits of the Spirit. 

Imagine a flashlight (you and me) with the ability to shine brightly through the darkness. All it needs is to be filled with batteries (the Spirit of God). Yet when you try to put in the batteries there is something stopping you, in this case little pieces of paper with sinful items written on them; hatred, idolatry, envy, etc. These "little" sinful things things prevent us from being filled. In reality these sinful things are not little but we tend to overlook the power they have in our lives. In order to live a Spirit filled life these things must be first emptied out of us. Envy and Peace can not coexist. When we make room in our lives for the Spirit then do we receive the ability to shine. 

What is in our lives today that is preventing us from receiving the Holy Spirit? Anger? Envy? Selfishness? What steps can we take today to rid our life of these sinful desires? How can we live the life we WANT to live? 

(Thanks Pastor Jerry for a wonderful analogy!) 

Dear Heavenly Father, Help me rid my life of sinful desires. Help me find strength. Empty me Lord that I may be filled with Your Spirit! Help me SHINE! Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails