Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sunday Devotions - The Ten Lepers


Luke 17:11-19

As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance and called out in a loud voice, “Jesus, Master, have pity on us!” When he saw them, he said, “Go, show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went, they were cleansed. One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. He threw himself at Jesus’ feet and thanked him—and he was a Samaritan. Jesus asked, “Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? Has no one returned to give praise to God except this foreigner?” Then he said to him, “Rise and go; your faith has made you well.”


This week I've been preparing for my very first lesson as a Sunday School teacher which is the story of the ten lepers and thankfulness. When Jesus heals ten lepers only one returns to say 'thank you' to Jesus. I can't imagine Jesus was too content with being brushed off by the other nine. Granted, I'm sure they were excited about the miracle that had worked in their bodies but honestly, would saying 'thank you' really have taken that much of their time? The lesson from this story seems to resounding in my own life quite a bit lately. 

As I mom I often feel taken for granted for all the things I do. Anyone else ever feel that way? One particularly stressful afternoon I had been cooking dinner, finished homework with my boys, allowed them to have a friend over to play, made a quick dash to the store for my kids and was bombarded for requests for this and that and whatnot. By the time my husband arrived home from work I was tired and upset and I just left. I left my husband to finish dishes and put the kids to bed. While I was off on my own I realized I was so upset because none of my kids had said thank you the entire afternoon or evening despite my running around doing things for them. I felt totally used and tossed aside. 

On a side note, my hubby must have laid a guilt trip on them because I awoke the next morning to homemade "I'm sorry" cards and solemn apologies from both my boys. 

Aren't I guilty of the same thing though? I have a prayer wall, a wall full of Post It Notes, of people I pray for. I don't thank God near often enough for the prayers he's answered or gifts he's provided me. Is "thank you" really that difficult to say? Does it take that long? And now that I think about it I should probably be thanking many others for things in my life as well. I need to thank my husband for covering for me and my mom duties when I get pushed to the limit and have to run off. I need to thank my kids for all the hugs/kisses/stories/pictures/laughs they provide me everyday. I need to thank a lot of people in one way or another. Who can you thank today? 

Dear Heavenly Father, The words "Thank You" don't fall out of my mouth nearly enough. Please help me cultivate a thankful heart that I may recognize all the work You do for me. Amen. 


2 comments:

  1. Thank you. I'm late, but right on time:) Needed that! Love the post it note idea. Have a great rest of the week.

    KD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I'm running behind all the time too KD! Hope you are enjoying the weather, have a great week too!

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails