Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sunday Devotions - Rest vs. Work




The apostles gathered around Jesus and reported to him all they had done and taught. Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.” So they went away by themselves in a boat to a solitary place. Mark 6:30-32


It's 8:30 on a Saturday night and I'm finally sitting down to write my Sunday Devotional. Whew! 

What a day it's been! The boys had a friend sleep over last night so there was an extra rugrat running around this morning. Later in the morning I loaded the car with kids to buy materials for 4-H projects. Then after coming home, fixing lunch and getting Yahoo down for a nap the boys and I worked on their projects.  After Yahoo's nap we had a fine time making animal cheese crackers for a church dinner this evening and then we played with some Clean Mud (check tomorrow's post for the recipe!). I timed it just right that I could run on the treadmill while the kids watched a movie and I'd heat up leftovers for dinner as soon as I was done running. But as soon as I got off the treadmill DR came home from working all day transferring grain to say he had to run to town and, "Why don't we go out to eat at Applebees?" After a quick shower, no makeup, and getting the kids hustled into the car, we were off! Dinner was great, then a fly by the store DR needed to get to, and we were home right at bedtime. Everyone was hustled through the toothbrush, pajama routine and were down for the count. Even DR's sleeping right now. 

I felt like I haven't had a chance to sit all day. But even as I'm sitting here looking around the living room my mind is building a To Do List; pick up toys, work on painting, fold laundry, the list goes on and on. But I have no energy to keep on working tonight. If I did I would be worthless tomorrow. 

I think the apostles probably had some problems with getting enough rest too. Jesus had sent them off to do God's work and they had returned, probably very excited, about what they'd taught and done! Who wants to rest when the power of God is with them to do great things? But Jesus knew that rest was important to his disciples, despite their great excitement and energy. If they didn't rest and recharge the power of God wouldn't be able to work within them in the future. They would just burn out. 

The same is true for all of us. Life is so much go, go, go. Where's the rest? If we don't carve out time for ourselves no one else will. No one can go indefinitely without recharging their batteries, physically and mentally, or burn out is bound to occur. I think for mothers of young kids it is especially hard to find time to rest and pray. We are on the go from sunup to sundown and many times up in the middle of the night too caring for our little ones. 

It's hard to carve out that time but perhaps it doesn't have to be a huge chunk of time all at once. Can you try five minutes of sitting down doing nothing? Ten minutes? There are days I feel lucky to get three minutes of time to just sit before I'm called on by one kid or another. But the intention is there. 

Dear God, Thank You for reminding me today that rest is so very important. Rest for my body and my mind. Resting is the only way I can prepare myself to do Your work. Help me find rest today Lord that I may do Your work tomorrow. Amen. 





1 comment:

  1. SO wish my other half would adhere to this more frequently. Right now, of course, he is in his chair asleep, but he's usually a workaholic, and it's all for one and one for all when it comes to getting busy around here. I crazy some down time to recharge. Even God rested on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails