Sunday, December 11, 2011

Sunday Devotions - Simplicity

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.
3 John 1:4 


Once again it's Saturday night and I'm trying to come up with my Sunday devotional. Usually I don't mind skipping a blogging day now and then...but not Sunday. My Sunday blog has, for me, become the most important and hardest to write. I'm no great theological scholar, and consider myself lousy with words, but I write my Sunday posts with the hopes that someone, somewhere, someday my be led to Christ through something I've written. 


It's Saturday night and I'm grasping at straws...what to write? What to write?? I'm flipping through books and verses when I come upon a book on my Kindle I had forgotten about; Little Folded Hands Prayers for Children. I even found the prayer I grew up reciting. 


Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray Thee Lord my soul to take. Amen. 


...and there are others that caught my eye. 


I thank Thee, Lord, for sleep and rest. For all the things that I love best. Now guide me through another day And bless my work and bless my play. Lord, make me strong for noble ends. Protect and bless my loving friends; Of all mankind good Christians make. All this I ask for Jesus sake. Amen. 


All praise to Thee, my God, this night for all the blessings of the light; Keep me, O keep me, King of kings, beneath Thine own almighty wings. Amen. 


Sometimes I struggle with communicating my thoughts, especially on Sundays. I have the idea in my head that I have to have some long winded message. Have you ever noticed how quickly a child can get the truth out? Kids get straight to the point. A lot like some of the prayers I came across. They pack a lot of meaning in a few words. 


I have a hard time writing and communicating; I'm not good with words. And, sometimes, when I pray, getting my thoughts across in my conversation with God seems impossible until I find myself rambling. I guess these prayers for children have reminded me that prayers don't have to be grandiose. I can keep it simple because, really, even if I don't say the right words God knows my intent. 


Dear God, Thanks for listening and hearing me. Amen. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails