Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Flood Irrigation in Kansas

While most fields are watered through circle pivots, but a friend told me when she was little she'd haul pipes to one end of the field at it would flood the field with water. Flood irrigation.


I didn't think anyone did it this way anymore because it was such an inefficient use of water but I found a field just last week utilizing the old irrigation method.


I didn't get up close and personal, it was cold and I had three hungry kids in the car, but I assume it is a field of wheat.


You don't see many fields with pipes anymore but you do see the pipes in a lot of places. I've seen a 7 foot pen for chickens built out of irrigation pipes or just piled up randomly in a pasture.



2 comments:

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails