Monday, July 18, 2011

Teasing Rain

As DR and I were headed out for a date Saturday night we drove under tons of beautiful dark clouds. We could even see rain coming down in the distance. It was bittersweet though because it wasn't falling on us. I hope whoever it was falling on though got a bunch! And I know whoever it was falling on that they dearly appreciated it.


Just Friday Garden City, KS got hammered with rain...so much in fact that water was rushing down the sides of the streets. But we didn't get a bit just an hour south here. A farmer friend of ours just a few miles out of our tiny town said they've only received 2 inches of rain this year. Two inches of rain since January; two inches of rain in 6 1/2 months. It is drier here in SW Kansas this year than it was during the Dust Bowl of the 1930's. The difference is due to land conservation measures there aren't rolling dust storms, thank goodness!


Driving Saturday night we were teased with a few raindrops on the windshield.
I told DR, "If we could only get a good downpour! I'd send my kids out into a storm just so they could feel the rain! I'd wake them up in the middle of the night and make them stand in the rain! Oh, what I wouldn't give for a flood!"


There has been quite a few times the past couple of weeks where the skies have filled with clouds, dark clouds. I find myself straining to watch the clouds but sadly they move on by without leaving any moisture in their wake. I love the Kansas sky but sometimes its beauty exists besides a sense of bitterness. A sense that nothing will fall from the sky again.

I'm sure you are tired of hearing about how dry it is out here but it's hard to ignore when the 10 day forecast out here is calling for 105 degree days, everyday. I've never experienced a place so dry. Of course, I was raised in northern Indiana where it was common to have a summer day with 85% humidity. But this Kansas summer I've learned lotion is a household staple!

1 comment:

  1. Not sure which is worse; high heat or high humidity, but I DISLIKE humidity to the tenth power! Hang in there. Maybe the more the weatherman predicts no rain, the more rain you will get. It's crazy like that sometimes! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails