Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sunday Devotions- Don't Make Me Come Up There!!!



I recently downloaded Don't Make Me Come Up There!: Quiet Moments for Busy Moms onto my Kindle. I'm a sucker for free e-books and wasn't disappointed by this one! The author Kristen Welch has me cracking up and crying and praying all in one sitting. For today's Sunday Devotional I'm going to share a short chapter from her book. Enjoy Moms!



Chapter 2 - They Will Let Anyone Be a Mom These Days

I was leisurely scrolling through the latest posts of the blogs I read everyday. I was unbathed and pajama-clad. (Actually, I had lost my pj bottoms somewhere along the way of rushing my older kids out the door, so I was half naked.) My priorities were in order; I was reading other people's business before I took care of my own.

My one year old sat in my lap while I worked on my laptop at the kitchen counter. My baby dug through the kitchen drawer as I intently read. She started squirming, so I sat her on the floor with a piece of plastic. At least that's what I thought it was, until she started screaming. I whipped around and realized that the said plastic was SUPER GLUE, which was now dripping and full of teeth marks. I scooped her up and rant to the kitchen sink.

These words began flashing in my head; YOU ARE NOT MATURE ENOUGH TO BE A MOTHER. FIND AN ADULT IMMEDIATELY.

My daughter's hands were covered in Super Glue and her lips were glued closed. Let me just pause and let that sink in; Baby. Lips. Glued together for eternity. Jesus help me.

I'm crying. She's crying. I'm splashing water on us both, praying for help, and begging for forgiveness. It did dawn on me in a surreal way how perfectly still my child became. she knew it was bad. And I think she was hoping for another adult to arrive.

The warm water and a little pressure helped part her crusty lips. THANK GOD. She didn't ingest the glue, and that seemed to be very good news.

I nearly passed out when I heard the key in the front door. A host of angels ushered my dear hubby into the kitchen in search of something he'd forgotten. He saw the super glue, our crusty hands, and his baby's lips and took over. I Googled 'baby lips and super glue' which I'm sure helped child protective services home in on my whereabouts.

According to reliable sources, acetone is the enemy to Super Glue. It's the kryptonite to the super mega adhesive. We dipped cotton into nail polish remover and scrubbed. Our one year old perfected her dirty look, and my husband didn't even ask how it happened.

"I've got to get to work," my husband said as he grabbed his jacket.

"What? You can't leave me. I can't be trusted. It's not even 8:30 a.m. and I nearly wounded your baby," I said as I grabbed his pant leg and held on for dear life. He smiled at me. And left.

Have you ever felt unqualified to be a mom? I made a mistake that could have caused severe injury to my child and I couldn't get past the guilt. I was horrified at my negligence and berated myself until I finally had a good cry in the tub. I reminded myself that I wasn't a bad mom, just human. But God reminded me that I wasn't alone. He equips us to handle eh tough mom stuff, the things in the future we can't even imagine. He won't give us more than we can handle.

Don't be too hard on yourself. It isn't an accident that you're  a mom. God will enable you.

1 Samuel 25:28 - Please forgive your servant's offense, for the LORD will certainly make a lasting dynasty for my master, because he fights the LORD'S battles. Let no wrongdoing be found in you as long as you live.

God, Thank You for Your protection. Please watch over those I love. Guard them with your angels. Keep my spouse and my children safe from harm. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails