Tuesday, June 7, 2011

My Dry Garden is Feeling Puny


My garden is growing but not without a lot of work. Back in Indiana I rarely watered a garden. In Kansas I've had to water everyday; it is unusually dry here this year (so I'm told.)  This past week our daily temps have soared into the 90's and 100's. With Kansas heat comes Kansas wind. Normally the wind is welcome because it takes away a bit of the heat.



But my poor plants are feeling the brunt of all the hot air. Although I've watered the garden in the morning, the wind dries up all the moisture long before afternoon. I started to water the garden twice a day but it didn't look like it was doing that much good. DR bought a soaker hose today so hopefully that will prevent quite as much moisture loss.



I've always grown tons of carrots in years past but I can not grow carrots in Kansas. See that patch of dirt up there? I've planted carrots twice there and nothing has popped up but weeds. I suspect the soil content is just wrong for carrots.  *sigh* I love carrots.



I don't know what's the matter with my pepper plants either. This is actually looking good. A couple days ago it looked as though something had eaten it all. I don't know whether it's the soil or the wind.



My tomatoes on the other hand aren't doing too badly. We staked them today in hopes it will help against the wind.

My heart was sinking a bit today as I walked around my little garden. I'm starting to wonder whether we should just built a greenhouse over the whole plot over the winter and start a garden in February! But, I'm not giving up. We'll figure out someway to garden successfully....but it might take a couple years.



3 comments:

  1. I'm wondering if you need to use a compost or something organic to work in to your soil. That might help the carrots be able to grow DOWN. It's looking pretty parched. Maybe a soaking hose would help? Of course this if from the girl who has yet to plant any vegetables in her garden yet. I may be shooting for a fall garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering if you need to use a compost or something organic to work in to your soil. That might help the carrots be able to grow DOWN. It's looking pretty parched. Maybe a soaking hose would help? Of course this if from the girl who has yet to plant any vegetables in her garden yet. I may be shooting for a fall garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we worked in a bunch of organic material when we broke ground and we soak it everyday. Everything is parched even with a soaking! We are in a severe drought....no measurable rain (in some places) in 10 months.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails