Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What I've Learned

Ah...spring! Flowers, sun, flying kits and.....assessment tests.


Yes, the time of year dreaded by teachers, parents and students alike. The time of year when months worth of learning are assessed through a few measly hours on a standardized test. I'm against standardized tests for a number of reasons....but we won't go there.


I decided that since students across the country were reflecting upon their learning of the past months through testing that I would reflect upon some of life's lessons as well. 


Random things I've learned......


Sometimes I have to allow my kids' feelings to get hurt in order for them to learn life lessons.


Strawberry milk from the gas station will stain a carpet.....permanently.


I NEVER want to be responsible for running a daycare out of my house.


Girls may be easier to potty train...but they are harder to reason with.


My husband will never learn to pick up his work boots from the middle of the living room floor. (I hope I'm wrong about this one!)

I've learned it's better to be flexible in life because I'll never expect the unexpected.


It doesn't matter how old I get, there will be days I will still need my mommy to comfort me.


There just aren't enough hours in the day......or dollars in the bank.


Someone is praying for me today though I may never know who it is or what they are praying for....but I sure am thankful they are praying for me.

When I pray for someone, whether they are aware of it or not, it does me just as much good as them.



So have you assessed yourself lately? What are some of the life lessons you have learned?

3 comments:

  1. After spending all day at school today to help with an accreditation visit, I am seriously pooped! I made the right decision to "retire" when we were expecting Kendal. I'm not sure how I would have kept up with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attended a teachers workshop today, part of my requirements to reinstate my teachers license, from 9 to 3 and I have decided I am NOT ready to work full time yet. Thank goodness I can sub and work my way back into the work force at me own pace...IF I want to. Today I also learned I REALLY like and enjoy being a SAHM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally with you on standardized tests. Unfortunately, there doesn't really seem to be many other ways to ensure that everyone is learning similar things...

    On a similar vein to your first thing you've learned about your kids learning stuff through hurt feelings: I am slowly learning that I cannot fix everything for everyone and have to let them feel all the negative stuff so that they can move forward. It sucks. haha.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails