Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Taco Trailers

Let me introduce you to a frequent Kansas landmark.

Taco Trailers.

These are trailers that I assume have been renovated to prepare and serve food. I admit, I haven't been a customer at a Taco Trailer.

I've seen Taco Trailers in at least four different Kansas towns.
They are out at all times of the year. They aren't like carnival vendors who travel to carnivals and fairs. Nope, the trailer above has been in the very same location for as long as we've lived in Kansas. I've noticed some move around to different locations in the same town but they are always around somewhere.


They are in odd places too. Usually you'll find them stuck at the edge of a parking lot or in an empty lot. I've seen one parked at the edge of a highway between a road and a bean processing plant.  
Some are nicer than others. I can't comment about the food quality because I haven't been able to bring myself to eat from one.

There's just something about them that seems....weird. 

Maybe I'm just displaying my ignorance of Hispanic culture here. And there is a large Hispanic population in Western Kansas. None of these trailers are pizza or Greek...always tacos. Why are there so many around and in odd places? Is it because there is a lack of authentic Mexican fast food? I don't think I've seen a Taco Bell out here at all come to think of it. I know, I know Taco Bell isn't authentic Mexican food. 

What do you think? Do you have anything similar to this where you live?  

3 comments:

  1. I believe there is one in Warsaw now, along with the hotdog trailer. I also have not tried their culinary fare.
    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Heather, Mindy is right, you haven't been here long enough at any one time to just drive Warsaw. There is a Taco Trailer right here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why, but I find that absolutely hilarious! We don't really have anything similar around here. There is a food stand downtown called the "Yodelling Sausage" that is quite popular among people who can eat there, but I don't think that it moves around very much.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails