Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Hacienda in Pastel and Colored Pencil

I finally got back to doing some drawing after my mural was finished.

In Taos, we visited back in Feb., all the homes and buildings are of the pueblo style with the sand colored exterior and flat roof. DR wasn't sure he could live in a town where all the buildings looked the same, even the McDonalds, but I thought it was wonderful.

I loved how the buildings, especially the hacienda we visited, seemed to come from the earth and how the sky seemed extraordinarly large. As though the buildings weren't the town's focal point but the sky was.

So I did a drawing...here you go.


A woman in the foreground.

The sky. I wouldn't call the white things clouds; more like power....mmmm, that's not right.

Sometimes I find it very hard to put into words what I feel when I draw.

I love pastels but they are big and bulky and a bit difficult to use when trying to create sharp details. I got a brainstorm to use some colored pencils over the top and it worked really well. I think that's something I'll have to do again.

4 comments:

  1. You are such an artist and I love the detail in this hacienda. I think the woman adds depth and a bit of a story to piece. Thanks for sharing!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful work. I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that all part of the aura and mystique of Arizona and the desert? I think of Sedona and places like it with all the ancient mystic presence that the legends tells us. I like this a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your painting is beautiful! Love the hacienda... I love New Mexico architecture and colors.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails