Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday Devotions - Material Possessions

It will be just like this on the day the Son of Man is revealed. On that day no one who is on the roof of his house, with his goods inside, should go down to get them. Likewise, no one in the field should go back for anything. Remember Lot's wife! Whoever tries to keep his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it. Luke 17: 30-33


I sometimes wonder, if I were forced from my home in a moments notice, be it a natural or manmade threat which drives me, which of my possessions would I grab before fleeing? In those few moments after seeing to the safety of my family I think my Bible and photo albums would be the first things I would grab. My Bible is full of notes and highlights that have become part of my daily Bible study. And of course, my photo albums are full of memories that I cherish.

If I had more time to grab stuff I'd probably grab some of my artwork, my camera, the kids favorite toys, family heirlooms. The more I think about it, the more things I would think of to grab if I had to flee my home....if I had just a few more minutes.

How have I become so attached to material possessions? They have no merit with God do they? Of course not. As the old saying goes, "you can't take it with you." Our faith and soul are the only things God is concerned about. But what are we most concerned with?

Someday Jesus will come again to take us home. Are we ready? Are we ready to go with him at a second's notice? Are we ready to turn away from everything and everyone we hold dear on Earth to go home to what is most dear in Heaven?

Dear God, Thank You for Your love. Thank You for our blessings on Earth. Thank You for reminding us however that material possessions are worth nothing compared to what awaits us with You in Heaven. Help us prepare to leave at a second's notice. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails