Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sunday Devotions - I would have lived for today.

You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man’s life is but a breath. Selah.  Man is a mere phantom as he goes to and fro: He bustles about, but only in vain; he heaps up wealth, not knowing who will get it. “But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in You.  Psalms 39:5-7

I lost Yip yesterday. DR was working, Yahoo was sleeping, Yap was in his bedroom and Yip was, as far as I knew, outside playing. I called for him to come inside and get ready for bed. No answer. He wasn't playing in any of the neighbors yards. He wasn't at the playground. He wasn't at the pool. He wasn't anywhere. I was getting frantic! All kinds of thoughts were running through my head as I raced around the neighborhood.

"Oh no, Yip and I had an argument the last time I saw him. He knows better than to run off without asking! Have I hugged him today? Did I tell him I loved him? Where on earth could he be?"

I wasn't very rational at this moment and on the verge of tears. After only 15 minutes of searching, it seemed like much longer, he was found in the neighbor girl's house watching tv. Everything was fine...just a misunderstanding. He hadn't intentionally disobeyed and felt very bad about causing me to worry.

After Yip and Yap were tucked into bed, hard as I tried, I couldn't get the incident of losing my child out of my mind. What if something had happened to him and I never saw him again? What if something happens to me and my kids grow up without their mom?

The Psalmist reminds us that life is short and we don't know when our last days on this earth are and therefore we need to make every day count in terms of the things that our most important to us; God and family. What's really important for you today? Making sure the house is clean? Worrying about how you can afford that thing you just can't live without? Spending time with your kids? Relishing time with God?

One of the most well known moms, Erma Bombeck, put it best by the following;

I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren’t there for the day.

I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.
I would have talked less and listened more.
I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained, or the sofa faded.
I would have eaten the popcorn in the ‘good’ living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.
I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.
I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.
I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.
I would have sat on the lawn! With my grass stains.
I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life.
I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn’t show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.
Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I’d have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.
When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, “Later. Now go get washed up for dinner.”
There would have been more “I love you’s.” More “I’m sorry’s” …But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute…look at it and really see it … live it…and never give it back.
 
I don't know about you but right now I'm going to try to worry and yell at my kids less and play and love a lot more.

Dear God, Thank you for each and every precious day you have given to us. Help me make the most of it! Amen.

1 comment:

  1. What a good reminder. When my kids were little and I was frustrated, I would remind myself to enjoy it while it lasted because it wouldn't last forever. I know I didn't slow down and pay attention enough, but I am thankful for the Lord's gentle reminders to do just that. Now that they're grown and on their own, I can say for a fact that its' worth it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails