Friday, August 27, 2010

Foody Friday - Jumbles


A Prairie Kitchen: Recipes, Poems and Colorful Stories from the Prairie Farmer Magazine, 1841-1900Have you ever heard of a Jumble? Me neither...but it's those things right up there. I would describe them as a cross between a donut, a cake and a cookie without the grease. They are light and easy to make with kids. Yip kept bugging me this week to make donuts. I hate the deep frying part of donut making. Not because of the unhealthiness, just because it's too much mess to clean up and I always get burnt by hot oil. I found this recipe in my cookbook, A Prairie Kitchen.
This is also where I found the recipe for Graham Bread.


Jumbles, July 19, 1886 (modified by me just a bit)

3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter
3 eggs
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon (I added this)
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 c. applesauce (I added this)
3 or 4 (or more) cups of flour
Preheat oven to 350. Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and beat well. Stir in the baking soda, spices and flour. You want dough that is not sticky, but that can still be molded. Knead dough briefly and then form the cookies into the traditional doughnut shape. Take a small ball of dough and make it into a long pencil-like length. Bring the two ends together and seal them. Dip the top of the cookie into some sugar and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake until the cookies are just beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.

(We rolled the dough into a ball, slightly larger than a golf ball, flattened it between our hands, then poked a hole with our finger to shape the doughnuts. I also baked them for 12 minutes or more.)

Good luck and enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. Oh my does that look yummy! If I had any nutmeg or eggs in the house I'd probably make them right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You convinced me, I bought the nutmeg and eggs, we'll make them tomorrow. thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I just made them. Kids haven't gotten one yet but my wife and I split one to try. I ended up using closer to the 4 cups of flour. I made one alteration to add cinnamon to the dipping sugar.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails