Friday, April 16, 2010

Spaetzle!! German food...yum, yum

When my husband and I were first married we lived in Henderson, Kentucky which is right on the Ohio River across from Evansville, Indiana. Evansville has a great German restaurant, The Gerst Haus. My husband's and my families are from German descent and I  grew up with many German dishes. Needless to say going to this restaurant was heaven for me. Since we moved away I have very rarely found any great German restaurants. Luckily I came across a recipe for Spaetzle! I thought the boys would enjoy making it...even if they didn't eat any :)


The recipe calls for pushing the dough through a colander to make small noodles but that didn't work. Instead, we rolled the dough into snakes and the boys cut them up into little pieces like this.


Then we boiled the dough until the pieces rose to the surface. (Check out my awesome stove! This picture isn't on it's side....my stove is! Just kidding...)

While the dough was boiling we toasted some bread and the boys smashed it into crumbs...fun!

 Finally we coated the spaetzle in melted butter and bread crumbs. So very yummy! The boys ate almost all of it...they loved it! Now I just have to learn to make a great pork tenderloin to go with it.


Here's the recipe:

Crumb Coated Spaetzle.

6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.Ingredients


2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted

Directions
In a small bowl, combine flour and salt. Whisk in eggs and milk until smooth.
Fill a large stockpot three-fourths full with water; bring to a boil. With a rubber spatula, press dough through a colander into boiling water. Cook and stir gently for 4-5 minutes or until spaetzle float and are tender.
Combine bread crumbs and butter. With a slotted spoon, transfer spaetzle to a large bowl; add crumb mixture and toss to coat. Yield: 6 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup equals 363 calories, 19 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 603 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails