Friday, April 9, 2010

Foody Friday - Pumpkin Bread French Toast

I love quick breads! Pumpkin, banana, zuchinni, avocado...yes, I have an avocado bread recipe and it is heaven. I'll get it up one of these days. One of the things that I love to do with leftover quick breads, if there are any, is to make french toast with them. So here is a two parter today; first, my pumpkin bread recipe and then a quick explanantion of how I make french toast...not that you need an explanation but hey, it makes me feel like I'm doing my job here when I include it!

PUMPKIN BREAD RECIPE

1 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. sugar
1 1/2 t. salt
1 t each of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice
2 t baking soda
4 eggs, well beaten
2/3 c. water
1 c applesauce
2 c. canned pumpkin

Sift dry ingredients together. Add remaining ingredients. Pour into 2 large greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes.


Now for the French Toast! Not hard at all. Slice up your quick bread and leave it set out overnight to get dry and stale. This is important, because if you try to use the pumpkin bread straight from the loaf it will be too moist to soak up the egg mix and will fall apart in the skillet. In a large bowl mix together a couple eggs, a handful of sugar, a splash of vanilla, about a half cup of milk. Dip bread in egg mix covering both sides and place in a hot skillet. Fry both sides for a couple minutes each. Drain on a paper towel and enjoy with your favorite toppings.

Sorry...no picture of finished product...Yip, Yap and Yahoo attacked the french toast before I could intervene! Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. That look SO yummy! I love french toast!

    I wanted to compliment you on your blog, you do such a great job with it! every day you have something substantial posted, impressive! Don't you ever feel like just posting a picture and calling it a day? just saying, I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol!! Yes, there are many days I just drop in a picture and call it a post...like yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea. I have some pumpkin all thawed and ready to cook. I will make tomorrow and let you know. Love the idea with the french toast. NEVER thought of that.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails